Monday, January 16, 2012

A Crafty Place Mat

I got something awesome for Christmas. It was of epic proportions and I have been in HEAVEN!  It's called and Accuquilt Go! and it cuts perfect pieces of cloth.  It's similar to a paper dies cutter, but  much cooler :).  I also was given some moo-lah from a kind family I do learning-play dates with and I immediately took to eBay and won a ton of dies in a huge lot for super cheap, because apparently no one was bidding on Christmas eve.  The first thing I made was a lap quilt for my mother-in-law for her birthday (she got me the Accuquilt).  Second I made this, a place mat for the messiest eater I have ever met...my daughter.  (excuse the picture quality, it was my phone).



Yeah, there are things I would do differently, for sure!  But it was my first one so give me a break :).  Just in case you are dying to make this, here's how I did it:

1. I let my son go through my fabric and choose 4 fabrics that had yellow in them.  I wanted it to be cheerful! I think he did a great job.

2. I took my fancy schmancy Accuquilt and used my 2 1/2 strip cutter to cut one strip of each fabric 37 1/2 inches long.  I cut them all at once and literally did a little jig at the accuracy.  I can't cut straight for beans.

3. I sewed all the strips together (side by side) with a 1/4 inch seam. I then pressed all the seams open.

4. I laid out my newly-sewn long fabric and used my rotary cutter to cut it into thirds.  Each section should be 12 1/2 inches tall.

5. Sew those sections together!  Make sure you press your seams!

6. My next step was my favorite.  When I first got my dies I had to try them all out so Little Man chose some fun colors and we went to town.  Some of the things we cut were these critters (butterfly, dragonfly, and bee) and a ton of flowers.  I decided to use some of my critters and one of the flowers and sew it on.  I had applied fusible web to the fabric before sitting the shapes so all I had to do was iron on the shapes, and sew around the edges with a zig-zag stitch. 

7.  I then cut a piece of fabric that was 24 1/2 inches wide by 12 1/2 inches tall for the backing, and the same size for a piece of thin batting.  I then made a "sandwich with the right sides of the fabric together and the batting on top. Stitch around the outsides with a 1/4" seam and left an opening about 2 inches wide at the bottom for turning.

8.  I turned my place mat inside out and topstiched around the edges, being careful to ensure it closes my opening on the bottom.  I then decided I wanted a more quilted look and proceeded to quilt about a 1/4" around all my shapes.  I don't know if I'd do that again.  My husband said maybe I shouldn't :)  It still looks really cute, but the extra quilting gives it a lumpy effect.


So I made a couple more, without quilting (or piecing strips- I just used a singular fabric for the background since it was for a gift and not everyone wants it so busy.  It still looked busy anyway, because I am apparently allergic to solid fabrics).  Also in the picture I made a bib in the shape of a hunter, a baby book (from a kit), and a burp cloth.



Making your eyes dizzy?  Yeah, I love it!!  But I really need to get some solids so everyone else can stand it.

What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. I like the dizzy fabrics!! Good work, friend :) I envy your Accuquilt. Words I never thought I'd utter...

    ReplyDelete