Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Wednesday Word

Homosexuality. There is a word that can conjure up all kinds of feelings in a person of faith. Many of us don't want to discuss it amongst one another because we are not sure if we should be "tolerant" or "condemning". Are those really our only options?
I admit, I have struggled with how I feel versus what people tell me is "right". I have sat in my seat at every church I have been to and heard the fleeting mention of homosexuality and that it is wrong, then quickly passed over so as not to stir controversy. So is being homosexual okay? Is it something that automatically sends you to hell? Should I not spend time with my gay family members? Are they all filled with demon like some pastors have suggested? But I don't feel they are choosing this lifestyle, why is it so wrong?

Now, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I believe in the Bible to be whole and true. That said, I think we really miss the point of the Bible. The front cover does not say: "The Bible. A guide to condemning those different from you and to make you feel like a worthless person.” At least, mine doesn't. I have noticed people taking clips out of the Bible-one verse here, another there, and making an absolute blanket statement. "God says it is wrong". But, does he?

Where in the Bible does it say, point blank, that homosexuality is wrong? And before you start typing passages from Genesis, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 1 Timothy, and Jude let me state my case on those passages. They all refer to rape, orgies, molestation, adultery, beastiality, sex in a temple, sex as part of a pagan ritual, sex before marriage, or purposely forcing sex to humiliate someone. The same thing is said about heterosexual behavior throughout the Bible. God believes these things are wrong and I am right there with Him. But none of them say, "Jake and Johnny became one, living out their lives in a committed relationship and were condemned to eternal damnation." I saw nothing like that. And before you start quoting Leviticus you need to remember a few things about the laws/prophesies in the Old Testament. 1) They were put in place to set Jews apart from the rest of the world to not be tempted and to more easily spot the Lord when He came, and 2) Jesus states in the New Testament that he came to fulfill those laws and that we are no longer bound by them because we don't have to look for the Lord anymore. He's here! That is why we can eat pork, cut our hair, wear blended fabrics, and get tattoos all of which were before forbidden by levitical laws.

Then there are the Ten Commandments. Let's go thru them together shall we?

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'
TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'
THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'
FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'
SIX: 'You shall not murder.'
SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'
EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'
NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'
TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'
So we have gossip, envy, murder, adultery, lying, disrespecting your parents, swearing, and not worshiping God. Where is the commandment about which sex we are allowed to marry? It isn't there. God was very specific with his very basic commandments for us all to follow. I don't think He would leave something out just to confuse us. I think it wasn't the issue we are making it now. Where are the picket signs that say "God hates gossipers" or "You like this bracelet? That envy will send you to Hell?" or other ridiculous nonsense like "God hates Gays". We have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God, have we not? We have all failed to honor the commandments and we are all forgiven. There is no single sin that in an automatic sentence to hell, nor is there a clear cut passage that even states that homosexuality in and of itself is a sin.

Plus, in the New Testament when Jesus was asked which of these commandments was the most important to follow he said to love Him with all our hearts and to follow Him. He also says that the ONLY way to get to heaven is to have faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord, Savior, and Redeemer. There are no works that will get you in and no sin that will kick you out. You either believe or you don't, the rest is obedience. That is why His sacrifice is so important. He died to cover all the sins we commit on a daily basis so that those sins are not the basis of our salvation.

Now you may say that there are no passages showing a committed/married homosexual couple or courtship in the Bible so it must be wrong. True, I don't know of any but there also aren't many passages about a plain heterosexual couple that just love each other, the end. All the passages are about struggles, obedience, finding the Lord, and loving each other despite ourselves. There isn't much in regards to romance either way, just how we should treat our spouses.

I beg of you out there, please think twice before shunning someone based on whom they love. If they profess to be Christians, than absolutely hold them to God's standards as listed in the commandments as well as not raping, molesting, having orgies/sexual rituals, and not having sex before marriage (or, I guess commitment ceremony as the case may be) whether they are gay or straight. If they do not profess to be believers, than regardless of their orientation you cannot hold them to God's standards that they don't subscribe to, only the standards of the world, which is who they belong to.

So, yeah, I'm going to say it. Homosexuality as a sexual orientation is not wrong; it is not a sin. God loves them just like he loves me. Just like he loves you.

I really hope to hear your thoughts on this one. I'm human and know very little, I could be wrong...




10 comments:

  1. I didn't read your whole blog because I'm at work but here is my opinion about anything religion concerned...
    Who goes to heaven and hell is a conversation to be had between that person and God. I do not know what God is expecting from each of us and therefore I pray to him for guidance in MY life. So far, I think I'm doing ok with what He's told me. For others, I expect them to do the same. And if they are gay and they lead of life of God, it is HIS decision if it is a sin, not mine. So I leave it to Him.
    Aren't there worse things in the world we could focus on that what someone does or doesn't do in the bedroom? I mean come on. Michaelango was rumored to be gay and his paintings are at the Vatican. I mean really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kelly, well stated and passionately correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! The God and Jesus I love are universal and welcome all! Catching up on Tuesday's Nimbler Grove blog hop... I am following you!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed!
    Thanks so much for stopping by, I am a new follower:)
    Lolo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower hope you will drop by and check out my blog at kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just landed on your blog on the day THIS post is on the top. This one is tough. Here is what I believe. The ACT of homosexuality is wrong. Just being a homosexual, or having an attraction to members of the same sex is not inherently evil. The level of "wrongness" is up to God. It's not my job to judge. I don't judge whether any of the sins in the world sends you to hell. I just know right from wrong. I actually have quite a few gay family members and I love them all and spend lots of time with them. I believe in "hate the sin, never the sinner" since, I too, am a sinner!

    I study human sexuality in a Christian context and the understanding I have of the importance of maleness and femaleness and the way they complement each other is so in depth that homosexuality does not fall within God's natural order. I looked up bible verses specifically and found this one:
    Leviticus 20:13: If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.

    There are a bunch more that reference sodomy. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I think this is a fully loaded question that would require so many hours of conversation. I hope I came off okay in this brief (and introductory!) comment. Looking forward to following your blog. It should be interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand your viewpoint (and you came off just fine :) ), but you must remember that we as Chrisitians are not bound by levitical laws (the laws and covenants of Leviticus). In this case, it is a holiness code written for priests only, and its primary intent was to set the priests of Israel over and against priests of other cultures.

    Jesus came and fulfilled the laws of the covenant and thus we are no longer bound by them. We unfortunately cannot effectively quote Leviticus without bringing on the burden of explaining why we are bound by that law of homosexuality, but not the other laws such as shaving cutting hair, wearing blended fabrics, or playing with the skin of a pig (I guess no football!) among a slew of other laws we are no longer required to abide to unless you don't believe Christ has come. If that is the case and you don't believe Christ has fulfilled the law. You either take all of it or none of it. We can't pick and choose.
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...
    You also must remember that God speaks to a people in a way that they can understand in the times they are living in. While his Word is perfect, many of these laws and rules were meant for that time period. For example, we no longer need to vastly populate the land, so polygamy was abolished.

    Maleness and femaleness is incredibly important and the marital joining of such is a beautiful gift from God. If by natural order, though, you mean procreation I have to ask... Should then the elderly not marry since they cannot naturally produce, or what about women or men God made infertile?

    It really is a loaded question that no one has enough space or time on a blog to express our views either way. After much prayer and consideration I felt very strongly that the Lord wanted me to write this. I think the only way we will ever know the full truth of anything is when we can ask Jesus himself.

    I leave it on this note. As Christians we follow Christ as God and the Word. He came to earth to free us from our sins and did not hesitate to tell us about the sins we carry. Why then is there not one single verse of Jesus talking about homosexuality? There is talk about it in a pagan/molestation/orgy/humiliation/war crimes way (never in reference to a relationship) by the writers, but Jesus himself never mentions anything. If He, God the Father, redeemer of our Sins who is The Word, didn't even find it important to discuss how can we conclude that just being gay is against his will?

    (And, thank you for your honesty in your beliefs in the Lord. I'm sure He would be proud of your passion)

    ReplyDelete