Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wednesday Word

Do you see the signs?

Due to my vacation I have really been thinking about driving.  With my silly thoughts the way they are I naturally went from thinking about the super long drive with two teeny kids to thinking about the signs on the side of our life's "road".  There is always something in every event in our lives that we can find God in if we pay attention.  I believe he always tries to tell us, "hey, I'm here and you are not alone".  I wanted to share with you one of the events in my life where I was shown a sign of His existence.  I've had many other signals from God, too, and sometimes those signs were ignored.

I can remember being little and talking in my head to Christ.  I didn't grow up in a religious home so I didn't grow up with the knowledge of something greater than myself out there.  Yet I knew who it was I was talking to.  So I think we must be made with a longing to know our creator just like we are naturally instilled with the knowledge of right and wrong.  Okay, so maybe this isn't an exact "sign", but just knowing He was there was pretty huge for me.

Fast forward several years and past several signals to my being a teenager.  I had just moved from Idaho to Colorado and started a new high school towards the end of the school year.  I had only lived there a month or so when I started dating a boy who was not really my type, but very fun.  I had been ditching my science class for the first week we were together so we could hang out for two hours (that class was right before lunch).  It wasn't like we were doing anything cool- just "hanging out" in the library or cafeteria.  I was only a freshman after all- where else could I go?  One day my boyfriend wanted to ditch again and go to the library to hang out with some other kids from church.  For some reason I felt really strongly that I had to go to science class.  I didn't want to go to class, there wasn't any assignment due, I wasn't falling behind or anything, but I felt strangely compelled to go.  So I went to class and so did he. That was a day that would change my view on life and confirm my belief in God.

That day two students went on a rampage at my school and killed 13 people and themselves.  And where was most of the carnage?  The library.  One of our friends was killed, many others experienced something that I believe I am not mentally capable of handling.  I could barely handle what I went through that day and I know in my heart of hearts that Christ was looking out for me that day.  He knew what was going to happen and spared not only my life, but a total mental breakdown.  I got down on my mental knees that day and said "okay, you're there- I'm not alone.  I have faith in you".  That couldn't have been just me.  It wasn't just a coincidence.  I'm not psychic.  I had no idea what was going to happen that day, but I knew I couldn't ditch that day.  

I've learned to follow that pull within myself.  I know what it is and I know what it means.  I have also found out the hard way what happens when I ignore it.  Now I look for the signs.  I try to see where God is in every situation and am often shocked by how obvious He is, and yet how easily I can oversee it.

What about you?  Has there been an instance in your life, whether big or small where you saw the sign? I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment