Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Wednesday Word

“Bad Advertising”
I was watching Last Comic Standing Monday night and felt incredibly convicted when a very non-politically correct comic made the comment that went something like, 
I hate it when people say ‘Jesus loves you’. If that were true then he would have sent someone else to say it to me.  You’re not a very good representation.
I should have been offended, instead I thought, 'oh my gosh it’s true'.  As a Christian and a follower of Jesus I have been there.  I have judged others for their actions and told them of a better way.  But I hardly ever find myself thinking, ‘if I was looking at me, would I want to be saved?’.  If someone was to see me on the street, in my car, or pushing my kids in the stroller would they be able to see the light I represent before I ever open my mouth?  What about when I do open my mouth, what am I expressing?  Is it love or is it condemnation.  
Let’s face it, we find it easy to judge.  It’s a heck of a lot easier to see and point out what others are doing wrong than to look into ourselves for faults.  I’ve done it.  I did it yesterday.  I found myself fuming in my head about a family member who I was thinking was so judgemental, unloving, and misrepresenting Christ.  So while I condem their judgement, I am judging too.  Where is the love?  That’s what we are called to do.  Love.  Why is it so hard?
If we were truly trying to lead by Christ’s example and bring others to God we should not be pointing out what will “drag them to hell” because no-one would ever listen.  No-one likes to be told that they are wrong (just see yesterday’s post).  And that is not what we are called to do.  Plus, let's not forget that we are all sinners.  We all deserve horrible things and not one of us is above another.  I am so thankful that someone better than us crazy people came along to save us and show us some love.  Okay, so everyone knows this verse I’m about to quote about God’s love.  I bet you’ll say it in your head the second you see the verse.  It’s on signs at football games, bumper stickers, and wrist bands.  It’s John 3:16
.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only son so who so ever believes in him will not parish but have ever lasting life.
But what about the verse after that.  Do you know it?  It completes this thought and is an incredibly important example of how we are to act and how Christ loves us.  I can’t say that I knew it previous to this weekend.  I’m glad I know it now.
For God sent His Son into the world not to condem it, but the world thru Him might be saved
Why don’t we know this?  Why don’t we follow this?  Let’s put down our signs (whether real or figurative) that say “God hates ________”.  Lets show love.  Lets show why Christ is different and why life can be better outside of the world.  We can only show that by not condeming people, but showing them love so they might be saved.  Boy, that would make family get-togethers a lot nicer! Heck, if Christ isn’t condeming anyone then who am I to think I can?

No comments:

Post a Comment