Thursday, August 12, 2010

"No One Told Me" Thursday

...I would shed like a dog.
During pregnancy there are some pretty amazing benefits from the hormones and prenatals.  One of which is a lush mane.  My hair seemed to feel fuller, silkier, and shinier.  Then you have your beautiful little baby and it all goes down the drain.  Literally.
When Little Man was born I distinctly remember standing in the shower two weeks later, shampooing my head, looking down and what do I see?  Hair everywhere!  I ran my hand through my hair and looked at my hand.  Even more hair!  I felt like I was in the middle of a beauty shop horror film. For days I shed like this. 
I don’t know if it was the screaming baby or the long nights, but I swear my hair just freaked out.  It either went grey or just jumped ship completely.  I was so upset.  I had enough to deal with, being a first time mom and all.  I thought something was wrong with me and that I was going bald.  
Luckily that wasn’t the case.  I didn’t go bald and I was completely normal!  When looking online I read that while pregnant your head stops shedding hair.  When your hormons change after your baby is born all those wonderful hairs that held on for 10 months decide to make a run for it. So don’t worry if this happens to you!  You’re just shedding the hairs you would have lost all those months and it will slow down.
Why didn’t anyone tell me so I could have saved myself from a hair heart attack?

1 comment:

  1. I was like you with my first kiddo. I shed so much hair. Though I still have super thick hair it was thinner than before I had Jay. So far with this one I have not noticed it getting thicker but it seemed to have grown faster and so far I have not lost clumps of hair.

    ReplyDelete