Thursday, August 5, 2010

"No One Told Me" Thursday

...About the Jell-O Belly.

Okay, I did not expect to pop out a 7 pound, 3 ounce baby and have my stomach bounce back to a size 4 but I didn’t expect what was to come.  
When you are fully pregnant and ready to pop all there is in your abdomen is baby.  Everything else has been moved out of the way, most are up towards your ribs or hovering around your bladder.  I don’t know why but I fully assumed that all those organs would just kind of fall back into place pretty much immediately.  Not so!  I felt strangly empty in the ab area and when I pushed on it, it felt like pushing on a ball of dough.  I was afraid my hand would get sucked in there never to be seen again if I pushed too hard.  Plus it was really unflattering to look at. Just like, you guessed it, a bowl full of peach Jell-O.
Have you ever seen that Simpsons episode where the scientists are measuring Homer’s body fat?  They smack his belly to time how long it jiggles and it just keeps going and going with little waves of fat all over his tummy.  That is exactly what my stomach looked like!  I had to wear my maternity pants for what seemed like forever just to keep the fat from exploding out into the world in a Jell-O sunami.  I wished I could have kept wearing my maternity pants to keep my stomach in for longer, but you really only have so much leeway after having your baby.  It would probably be a faux pas to wear maternity clothes on my childs first birthday.
In the weeks that follow childbirth your trusty organs move back to where they belong and I felt more solid.  The Jell-O may have been gone, but my stomach moved on to another tasty treat.  The ever hardy, ever present muffin top.  Oh how I wished I could have zapped back into my pre-pregnancy body like the bionic-bodied friend of mine who was back in pre-pregnancy clothes just two weeks after her first baby looking like she never gave birth!  (Oh and she just had another baby and zapped right back into her pre-preggo jeans. Ugh. Hey Jealousy.) The evidence of my birthing a child can be seen just by glancing at me from across the room.  You can see that I greatly represent another food in overall appearance now, an overripe pear.
It does get better.  I’ve noticed with this baby I have lost the weight much faster and am on my way to being at a comfortable size.  While I may never again see a size 4, I am seeing the jiggle leave my Jell-O.  I just need to somehow get my hips to come back together and maybe then I'll be able to fit at least one leg into my old jeans.  Heck, at this point I'd settle for just my calf to be able to fit in those things!  But that’s a topic better left to another day.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Don't remind what I have to look forward to in a few weeks. I hated my post-pregnancy body right after I had my first baby. And it didn't help that my in-laws kept telling me I still looked pregnant in the few days after I gave birth. So annoying!! Hopefully I'll lose all the baby weight much faster this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl! I am right there with ya on this post!I am your newest follower from FF :) Have a great weekend!
    http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete